Monday, February 7, 2011

Cleaning out my closet

I decided to tackle the dreaded master closet this past weekend while Mike was away. It is something I have been avoiding and have wanted to do for a long time. I am so happy with the way it turned out.

Here's how I did it.

-I took everything out of the closet

-I sorted stuff into piles (things that fit me and I'm keeping, things that don't fit that I want to keep, things that I'm getting rid of, and things that I'm throwing out, things that belong somewhere else)

-I put everything in the keep pile back into my closet''

This is all the left-over hangers I had! I threw out all the cheap plastic and wire ones.




Here's the sort-of before. I forgot to take a picture with everything in it so here is my room with the stuff out of the closet and here's what still needs to come out.



And, here is my closet now. Not much in it huh? I also realized I've been buying dark and mostly black clothing in the past couple of years. I've decided to get some new clothes that look good on me and some that aren't dark. I'm not in mourning after all.


The key thing for me was letting go of everything that didn't look good on me or didn't fit me anymore. I was so sick of having a closet full of clothing that I don't wear. I wonder why I'm always going in there and not able to find anything. Now I know. 80% of the clothing doesn't fit. I hold onto everything thinking that one day I will fit it again. It has never worked as motivation before. Instead it just makes me feel bad about myself and guilty. I can't tell you how freeing it was to get it all out. I did cheat according to all the info I read. I am not totally getting rid of that stuff as I do plan on fitting it again. Instead I am putting it in storage bins in the basement. However, anything that doesn't fit is not allowed in my closet.

If you too have a closet full of clothes that don't fit, give it a try. I doubt you'll miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails