Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Ate a Squirrel to Impress a Guy

In the hopes of improving my writing, I decided to participate in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. I chose the prompt to describe a memorable camping trip.

When I was a teenager, I was known for doing slightly crazy things. Probably the moment at the top of my crazy list would be the time that my friends and I ate roadkill. Yes, you read that correctly. Am I ashamed? Definitely. Although it makes a rather humorous story now.

I hung out with some older guys when I was growing up. I had a huge crush on one of them. If you have ever been a teenage girl then you will know that the following equation holds true: cute guy + teenage girl = attention seeking behaviour. Said guys were going on a March camping trip up into the mountains. Us girls were not invited and we were told that we would not be able to camp like that because it was too intense, cold, and rugged, etc. Being rather indignant, we got ourselves into a lot more than we had bargained for. We spouted of how we could survive anywhere, that we were capable of finding our own food, that we could sleep in the snow, and that we could do it better than them.

This all led to a bet. We would need to go camping in the wilderness on our own, kill our own animal, and eat it. We also had to videotape it for proof.

We held a girls meeting at my house. What on earth were we going to do? How were we going to kill an animal? We didn't want to do that. Miracle of all miracles, my friend Ally road her bike out to my house and came upon a dead squirrel on the road. She figured it might come in handy and brought it to my house.

Long story short, we knew there was no way we could kill any creature. We went camping and brought along our squirrel. We set up the squirrel in the bush, pretended to shoot it on video, skinned, cooked the squirrel (with some seasoning salt, I might add) and ate it. I threw up. This was all done dressed up as the Spice Girls. I was Posh Spice. I would pay big bucks for that video now. Sadly, no one knows where it is today. Doubtless someone is holding onto it on the off-chance one of us will be famous one day.

In the end, I didn't get the guy but I bet he never forgot me.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha.. Oh I love it! The joys of teenagehood and impressing boys! :) That's too bad that the video is missing - I'm sure it would be awesome to watch haha.
    Stopped by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is the funniest story! It's amazing what teenage girls will do to impress a guy!

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the things teenage girls will do. I am scared for the future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails